The Castle

In 1801, George James, 4th Earl of Cholmondeley was responsible for the demolition of the original Hall (click here for more history) and the erection of a comparatively small ‘gothic villa’, designed by local architect William Turner of Whitchurch which is Cholmondeley Castle today.

The villa was subsequently extended in 1817–1819, perhaps to celebrate his accession to the Marquisate, but it was not until 1828 that several additional towers/turrets designed by Sir Robert Smirke were added to the structure to make it the Castle we see today.

Bakewell’s white screen gates were moved from the Old Hall to their current position on the Castle and Chapel drives.